The band of thieves and respect for the office?
by the Left Coast Rebel
The New York Times reports:
My first inclination was to the fact that taxpayer dollars were spent on this project. Amazingly, they weren't:
When President Obama addresses the nation on Iraq on Tuesday night, he will do so from newly redecorated digs. The look, which includes new and reupholstered furniture and new paint and wallpaper, is more modern and tends toward neutral hues of brown and taupe, rather than the gold and yellow tones favored by his predecessor, George W. Bush.Gone is the sunburst rug that Mr. Bush loved so much; designed by his wife, Laura, he used to say it evoked a spirit of optimism. In its place is a more muted, mostly wheat and cream-colored carpet featuring the presidential seal in the center, and ringed on its edge with five quotations selected by Mr. Obama – four from former presidents (Lincoln, Kennedy and both Roosevelts) and one from the Rev Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Mr. Bush’s yellow brocade couches have been replaced with two custom-made sofas of brown cotton that resembles velvet. They face a boxy table, fashioned from American walnut and mica, that features a fruit bowl – not flowers – as its centerpiece. There is a lone navy blue pillow on one of the couches, which pulls in the blue from some new, modern table lamps.
The new wallpaper is striped, gold and yellow, but the pictures – portraits of Lincoln and Washington – have remained, as has the grandfather clock. Mr. Obama reupholstered Mr. Bush’s two mahogany chairs and kept the desk, called the Resolute, that every chief executive since Rutherford B. Hayes — with the exception of Johnson, Nixon and Ford — has used.
The makeover was not done at taxpayer expense; the White House said the costs were covered by the White House Historical Association, a nonprofit group, through a contribution from the committee that paid for Mr. Obama’s inauguration.About those quotations on the rug:
- “The Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself” – President Franklin D. Roosevelt (a classic that no one can disagree with).
- “The Arc of the Moral Universe Is Long, But It Bends Towards Justice” – Martin Luther King Jr. (again, benign).
- “Government of the People, By the People, For the People” – President Abraham Lincoln (another classic)
- “No Problem of Human Destiny Is Beyond Human Beings” – President John F. Kennedy (actually my favorite).
- “The Welfare of Each of Us Is Dependent Fundamentally Upon the Welfare of All of Us” – President Theodore Roosevelt
Freedom's Lighthouse has pictures of the new Oval Office:
Updated: Commenters at the Conservative Facebook page are not impressed with Obama's Oval Office redecoration:
- Michael Noonan Obama is to America what Alvin Greene is to South Carolina, A complete and utter disaster.( Speaking of Alvin Greene,where can I get a lawn sign...LOL) Voting for any libtard is like the chickens supporting Col. Sanders. Wher is the Zapruder film for B.O.?15 minutes ago · · 2 peopleLoading... ·
- Scott Reaves He's gotta go!14 minutes ago · ·
- Carmen Chatterton Enjoy your jet, your vacations, your face time on TV, and your new office. You will be remembered as the most miserable president we have ever had, and your reign of terror will end next election!14 minutes ago · ·
- Frankie De Simone Oh brother!!!!!14 minutes ago · ·
- Barbara DeRozieres Tasteless, bland, not Presidental.13 minutes ago · ·
- Richard NeedhamAccording to the news, the new custom carpet was donated by a rug manufacturer.It has quotes from MLK and others around the edge.
I really don't care for Obama, but in the grand scheme of things, a redecoration of this office is small banana...s' compared to trips to other countries for vacation by the first lady, or for both of them to go anywhere.
But I'm still voting 'em all out in November!See More12 minutes ago · ·
- Brooke Dellinger What a waste of money he is not going to be there much longer thank god!12 minutes ago · ·
- Brad Owens This dude can spend money and vacation for him self but then remember he was in congress11 minutes ago · ·
- Heather Sheard Soooo sick of this guy. We have got to vote him out.10 minutes ago · ·
- Judy Satter-Miller He should be packing not remodeling that dope.10 minutes ago · ·
- Joyce Dimartino I like how we have to make sacrifices but those two just keep spending our money. Why redecorate the ovaloffice he's NEVER there !!!10 minutes ago · ·
- Carey Austin Nuzzolese thats nice, hard working Americans are losing their jobs and their homes and he gets vacations and new furniture! Way to go all you Obama supporters! (rolling my eyes!)9 minutes ago · ·
- Ron Hendren fuck that shit
9 minutes ago · ·
- Gilbert Vanza He's always on vacation. Does he ever "work"8 minutes ago · ·
- George M. Cohen Let him buy his own u-haul to move in 20128 minutes ago · ·
- James Allen Hutson Too bad he doesn't believe the quotes he's had woven into the carpet, or he does and had them woven into the carpet so he can continue to walk all over them and the American people whom the quotes reflect....8 minutes ago · ·
- Sandra Iannettone vacation? i thought he has been on one for the years he 's been in office.8 minutes ago · ·
- Robbie Tindall Unbelievable well actually its Obama so not surprised. I'm sure when he gets back from his vacation he will need a vacation from his vacation. No wonder he's always skipping across the lawn. LOL8 minutes ago · ·
- Jacqueline DeLarosa Why is he redecorating? He won't be there much longer!7 minutes ago · ·
- Michele Goers All those quotes...confusing since he's a socialist. I'm surprised he didn't just have this one:
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his need" ~Karl Marx
It sums up his agenda/tenet/politics perfectly!7 minutes ago · ·
- Ben Abeyta Obama is a disaster.7 minutes ago · ·
- Serge Kashchenko Impeach him!
7 minutes ago · ·
- Vernon Kohlenberger Sr. What a joke, the fools are planning on a second term. LOL> They can enjoy it for now but it could be short lived. He should be impeached for subverting the constitution and ignoring the very laws he has sworn to uphold.6 minutes ago · ·
- Amanda LePore Scarpa We are already broke,whats next?????6 minutes ago · ·
- Charlotte Daniel The rug is not correct as far as tradition is concerned we are not at peace.6 minutes ago · ·
- Gail C Reynolds Wurmstein And taxpayers footed the bill when we're already so far in debt there's almost no hope of climbing out of this hole.6 minutes ago · ·
- Lavone Perkins I'm just so glad that someone gets to live well off of my hard-earned money. (insert a snort of derision here).6 minutes ago · ·
- Harpa Mikac Can't wait to get the SOB out of office!!!!!!5 minutes ago · ·
- Holly Horton Is it too much to hope that this means he went back to AMERICAN decor?5 minutes ago · ·
- Phyllis Benicewicz Im there right now and its a good read thanks for the site.4 minutes ago · ·
- Laura Pedersen Can't wait for him to get the boot!4 minutes ago · ·
- Tricia Richardson The room is just as boring as is he. No taste or class. And the quotes. He doesn't even abide by his own favorite ones. "Government of the People, By the People, For the People" - President Abraham Lincoln. He hasn't done anything that the 78% of country have asked of him. He is Government my way or the highway. He is the most arrogant, president in history. Claims to be a Christian, but Jesus said you shall know they by there fruits of the spirit. No fruit No Jesus spirit. Please leave our House Mr. President.4 minutes ago · ·
- Maureen Benfer i never liked the oatmeal and tan coloration, let alone stripes.4 minutes ago · ·
- Matthew McQuinn Considering we paid for the redecoration we should know the cost...so sick of this sh*t4 minutes ago · ·
- Patty Packard I am SOOOO ready for a real change in the Oval Office!!!!3 minutes ago · ·
- Donna Hale ho cares arnt ther mor inport things 2 talk bout3 minutes ago · ·
- Donna Nern- Warner I think we should know what we have to pay for something that is TOTALLY unnecessary while children starve in this country & people are struggling just to food on the table for their babies!2 minutes ago · ·
- Denise McPharlin Duffy Amen to that!2 minutes ago · ·